Saturday, August 7, 2010

Medical Emergency

7 hours vomiting out the window of a night bus that's hurling through the desert
1 giant bump on my head from blacking out at a rest stop at 4am
6 concerned Indian guys staring down at me as I regain consciousness
0 people who understand me as I mumble "I need medical help"

2 french angels who wake up on the bus and come to my side to hold my hand
1 government run hospital that looks like a bombed out shelter
1 rusty metal bed
1 IV
0 band-aids
1 drunk janitor who tries to charge me 10rs to mop up my vomit
3hr later my angles help carry me out of the "hospital" and to my hotel
1 hotel owner who tries to refuse me my room because "I look like I'm on drugs"
36 hours of sleep

Sorry no pics to accompany this post...Just a brief reminder that it's not always smooth sailing here. Now I'm healthy and in one piece thanks to the young french couple that was willing to get off a bus at 4am in the middle of no where and stay by a mumbling stranger's side in some pretty unsavory circumstances...They held my hand through the whole ordeal, and checked up on me the next day. Merci Merci Merci

3 comments:

  1. if you make it back alive I'm going to kill you. I only have ONE that's right, ONE platonic life partner. There's no returns. You know I'm all for a little 'developing world vomiting' but THAT is OUT OF CONTROL. Be safe PLEASE! Also please call again, I know I keep missing your calls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jeebus. i'm glad you're doing ok and have elevated respect for the french now. any thoughts on what caused this? stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karina, are you using your steripen?!?! I mean what Lena said . . . I only have one (blond) econ partner. You've gotta come back to me! Please be safe and take care! And remember, he's married . . . he's always married.

    ReplyDelete