Monday, July 5, 2010

Roadside Encounters

While in Pushkar I took to waking up early and going for a morning ride along the country roads.  Since Rajasthani women are fairly forward, and I was quite the novelty as a women on a motorcycle, I got constantly waved down and invited to tea.  Just wanted to share a few of my favorite encounters. 
Chai with women after they finished harvesting Jamoon fruit.  Here I'm pretending to understand whatever she's explaining in Rajasthani.
One woman found it so amusing that I was driving a motorcycle she insisted on trying on the helmet.

10km outside the city I passed a beautiful rose garden.  The sweet fragrance was so strong I could smell it from the road.  A mother and son were picking the flowers into large cotton sacks and invited me into the garden. 

Turns out they sell the roses to be processed into Gulkand a sugary rose chutney...I had some as soon as I got back to my hotel.  Delicious in a cold glass of milk!
Near the end of my drive, further into the desert, I was invited for a cup of chai in a shanty town out on the sand dunes. 
To make up for having no money for milk, they added lime to the tea.  As always the kids were fantastic.

2 comments:

  1. sugary rose chutney? that sounds ggggrrreat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the bottom picture! Wish I were there in your side car!

    ReplyDelete